I hope you have all had a fantastic break and are looking forward to the term ahead.
Here are a few reminders about the routines in Reception:
- Book bags need to come in to school every day, including reading books and home/school diaries. If there are any changes, please indicate who will be collecting your child from school in their diary.
- Reading books are changed on Mondays and Thursdays. Please let us know when you have finished with a book and we will get you a new one.
- Water bottles are provided by school and will be sent home on Fridays, and are to be returned on Mondays.
- PE bags should come in on Mondays and remain in school all week. They will be sent home every Friday.
- All uniform should be labelled, including coats, shoes and PE kits. This is very important as you can imagine that clothes do end up on the wrong bodies during P.E!
- Mrs Raistrick will continue to teach in Reception every Monday afternoon.
- As the weather becomes warmer, children need to have sun hats in school at all times. Sun cream should also be applied before school. If you wish for your child to have more sun cream applied during school (we are not allowed to put it on them, only supervise) then bottles should be clearly labelled.
This term we will be reading lots of fiction and non-fiction books about under the sea. The children will learn about animals that live under the sea and compare animals with one another. We will explore how they breathe underwater, what they eat and what they look like. With regards to writing we will also continue to explore lists, labels, stories, instructions, recipes, adverts and posters. The children will be encouraged to use their sound knowledge to write labels, captions and sentences. We also push for the correct spelling of tricky red words this term. In order to reach a good level of development the children need to be able to write a basic sentence independently.
The children will be listened to at least once a week and we will feed back to you through their diary. Please read with your child as much as possible as it makes a huge difference to their confidence and reading ability. It is just as important that your child understands what is happening in the book so do please speak to them about each page and question them on their favourite parts/characters etc.
In Maths we are looking at 3D shapes including cuboids, cubes, cones, cylinders and spheres. We will also be looking at the properties of each shape and 3D shapes in our environment. We will then focus greatly on number. This includes recognising numbers 1-20, putting them in order and saying what is 1 less and 1 more than each number. We will also be adding and subtracting 1 digit numbers by counting on and back.
As always I will be using ‘Development Matters in Early Years’ to plan, support and assess learning in Reception. A copy of this can be found at https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=development+matters+in+early+years&rlz=1C1CHBD_en-GBGB709GB710&oq=development+matters+in+early+years&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.4463j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8 At this point in the year I am now focusing on each Early Learning Goal, however all children learn and develop at their own speed so other age bands may also be used. Please let me know if you would like more information about this.
I am thrilled to see so many of you uploading photos and videos to Tapestry – thank you. It makes such a difference to the confidence of every child when they are explaining their news. They absolutely love it! Please continue to upload as many pictures and videos as you can as it is also very helpful regarding assessment and target setting.
Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions or concerns. You can catch me before school or at the end of the school day. Alternatively, you can communicate through your child’s home/school diary.
This term is the final push for children in Reception and so it will certainly be a busy one!