I hope you have had a restful summer break. Here are some points for this term in Year 2:
- We are continuing to encourage children to take greater responsibility for themselves now that they are in Year 2. Children will independently sort out their diaries, letters to hand in, book bags and reading books in the classroom. We ask that parents/carers say their goodbyes in the cloakroom area so children can begin their morning routine.
- Reading books are changed on a Monday and Thursday. Please try to read with your child every night, children make a lot of progress where there is input at home. Remember to ask questions about what they’ve read and ask them to re-tell the story in their own words. Please write comments in your child’s diary.
- Children will bring home spellings on a Friday. Please practise these with your child as they will have a spelling test on the following Friday. We will let you know how they have got on.
- By the end of the year children will be expected to be able to count in steps of 2, 3, and 5 from 0, and in tens from any number, forward and backward. Please make opportunities to practise these at home wherever possible.
- PE Kits and water bottles need to be brought in to school every Monday and will be sent home on a Friday.
- Your child’s class teacher is Mrs. Aldridge and our teaching assistant is Mrs Turner. Thursday afternoons are covered by Mrs Weatherspoon.
This half term our topic is ‘London’s Burning,’ where we will be exploring The Great Fire of London. There’s lots of information about this event online and in libraries so feel free to start researching! Children will use laptops to make a PowerPoint presentation about what they have learnt and present their findings to the class. In Art children will be colour mixing paint to create a firey London skyline and make 3D models of Tudor houses.
In English we will be reading stories from other cultures. Children have each been given individual writing targets and will work on these as they develop their skills in story writing. If you ask your child bout this, I’m sure they will tell you their targets!
We will also be exploring different calculation strategies in maths and decide when they are best used. Children will be measuring in metres and centimetres and organising information in pictograms and bar charts.
If you have any queries or concerns then please do not hesitate to arrange an appointment.
We have made a great start together this term so far and I’m look forward to seeing the progress we can make in Year 2!