Welcome back after the Easter break.
I hope you all had the chance to relax and recharge your batteries. After a busy first term, I’m looking forward to another exciting term ahead.
If you have any questions or concerns, you can catch me before school or at the end of the school day. Alternatively, you can communicate through your child’s home/school diary.
Here are a few things you need to know about Year 3:
- Reading books are changed on a Monday and Thursday however these can be changed more frequently if needed. Your child will receive a levelled book and also a free choice book to encourage reading for pleasure. Please encourage your child to read with you at home as this increases their confidence and fluency. I would also encourage you to talk about the text afterwards to ensure your child has understood the story. Please sign your child’s diary if reading has been completed at home.
- Children will receive spellings every Friday. Please encourage your child to practise their spellings for a test the following Friday. Children will record their results in their diaries.
- The “Learn-Its” for this term are 4 x and 8x table facts – a copy of all the times tables is in the back of the diaries. Please help your child to learn off by heart. Maths homework will also be sent home on a Friday to be returned by the following Thursday. This will usually be linked to what we have been working on in class, but if your child doesn’t understand anything please encourage them to let me know so that I can offer guidance.
- PE Kits and water bottles should be brought in to school every Monday and can be taken home on a Friday. Our PE lessons will be on a Tuesday and a Friday. In preparation for the Children’s Cancer Run we will have 2 15 minute practice sessions a week. We will remind children at the start of every week about this!
- Your child may mention their sticker chart or the marble jar. These are reward and sanction systems where we praise outstanding behaviour and achievement. The class will receive a prize at the end of term based on how many marbles in the jar. If your child earns a certain amount of stickers in the week, they will be entered into the prize bag on a Friday for a personal reward.
This term we will be taking a topic based approach around our Geography topic of climate zones. In English we will be looking at Meerkat Mail and The Rabbit Problem, both written by Emily Gravett. We will be using them as a basis for writing both fiction and non-fiction texts. We will be researching different animal species and writing postcards from their different habitats around the world. In Maths we will continue to take a problem solving approach and will be focussing on fractions and time. In Science we will be learning all about plants and will be using our knowledge to look after plants within the school grounds.
Mrs Nicholson will be returning on a Tuesday. Our swimming lessons at Prudhoe Water World will start on Wednesday 6th of June. We will be having 2 sessions a week (every Wednesday and Friday). We will send information out about this closer to the time but I am sure the children will thoroughly enjoy these sessions!