I hope you’ve all had a lovely summer holiday and have had a good chance to relax! I look forward to getting to know all of you over the year! If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me by either writing a note in the diary or catching me at the beginning or end of the school day.
Here are a few things you need to know about Year 3:
- Your child will be changing their own reading books every Thursday and recording the book titles in their diaries. They will choose 2 books every week. Please encourage your child to read these aloud at home as this helps to boost fluency and confidence. It would also be great if you could talk to your child about what they have read to ensure they understand the text.
- Children will receive spellings every Friday. These will cover the spelling patterns for Lower Key Stage 2. Please encourage your child to practise these at home and we will also complete some tasks in class.
- Throughout the year we will be learning our 3, 4 and 8 times tables. It would be great if you could encourage your child to practise these at home and there are some fantastic websites out there to help, particularly Topmarks!
- Homework will be sent home every Friday in a homework book and this will be due in the following Thursday. This will be linked to our learning in class to allow children to consolidate their skills. We will also set a project homework where the children will be able to bring out their creative side! We will always allow more time for this and if you need any resources from school please let us know!
- PE kits and water bottles should be brought into school on a Monday and taken home on a Friday. Miss Foster will be teaching PE on a Monday and the children will have another PE lesson with me on a Wednesday.
- Your child may mention house points which have been introduced this year as a reward for positive behaviour around school. These have been named after local saints; Hilda, Oswald, Aidan and Cuthbert. The totals will be counted to work out the weekly winner and at the end of the year there will be a prize for the winning house! We also have our class marble jar which allows children to earn golden time for positive behaviour!
In English we will be reading texts written by Michael Foreman and use these to write our own stories and newspaper articles. We will be continuing the White Rose Maths scheme of learning and this term will be focussing heavily on number and place value and addition and subtraction. This term our topic is All Around the World! In Geography we will be using atlases to identify countries in the Northern and Southern Hemisphere. We will be using search engines to make brochures about European countries and learning the capital cities. Throughout the term we will be looking at music from around the world.