Welcome back after the summer break.
I hope you have all had chance to relax and recharge your batteries. I look forward to getting to know you all over the coming months and hope we can work together to ensure that it is a productive and exciting year.
If you have any questions or concerns, you can catch me before school or at the end of the school day. Alternatively, you can communicate through your child’s home/school diary.
Here are a few things you need to know about Year 3:
- Reading books are changed on a Monday and Thursday however these can be changed more frequently if needed. Your child will receive a levelled book and also a free choice book to encourage reading for pleasure. Please encourage your child to read with you at home as this increases their confidence and fluency. I would also encourage you to talk about the text afterwards to ensure your child has understood the story. Please sign your child’s diary if reading has been completed at home.
- Children will receive spellings every Friday. Please encourage your child to practice their spellings for a test the following Friday. Children will record their results in their diaries.
- The “Learn-Its” for this term are 3 x table facts – a copy of all the times tables is in the back of the diaries. Please help your child to learn off by heart. Maths homework will also be sent home on a Friday to be returned by the following Thursday. This will usually be linked to what we have been working on in class, but if your child doesn’t understand anything please encourage them to let me know so that I can offer guidance.
- PE Kits and water bottles should be brought in to school every Monday and can be taken home on a Friday. Our PE lessons will be on a Tuesday and a Friday. For outdoor PE sessions, children may bring their own trainers.
- Your child may mention their sticker chart or the marble jar. These are reward and sanction systems where we praise outstanding behaviour and achievement. The class will receive a prize at the end of term based on how many marbles in the jar. If your child earns a certain amount of stickers in the week, they will be entered into the prize bag on a Friday for a personal reward.
In English we will be looking at the work of Michael Foreman and David Walliams, using them as a basis for our writing. We will also be writing some non-chronological reports linked to our Geography topic. In maths we will continue to take a problem solving approach and will be focussing on number and place value. In Geography we will be looking at world maps to identify countries and their capital cities.
Mrs Nicholson will be returning to teach netball and floor gymnastics across the term on a Tuesday.
We will have a whole class singing lesson with Mrs Shevlin on a Thursday afternoon.