Welcome back after the Easter holidays. I hope you all had the chance to relax and recharge your batteries. If you have any questions or concerns, you can catch me before school or at the end of the school day. Alternatively, you can communicate through your child’s home/school diary.
Here are a few things that will be happening this term:
- There is the opportunity for reading books to be changed every day. If your child has finished their book, pop a note in the diary and we will change this for you. Please encourage your child to read with you at home as this increases their confidence and fluency. I would also encourage you to talk about the text afterwards to ensure your child has understood the story.
- Children will receive spellings every Friday. Please encourage your child to practise their spellings for a test the following Friday.
- The “Learn-Its” for this term are 8 x table facts – a copy of all the times tables is in the back of the diaries. Please help your child to learn off by heart. Maths homework will also be sent home on a Friday to be returned by the following Thursday. This will usually be linked to what we have been working on in class, but if your child doesn’t understand anything please encourage them to let me know so that I can offer guidance. Children also have the opportunity to choose a challenge homework where there is a focus on reasoning and problem solving linked to the topic.
- PE Kits and water bottles should be brought in to school every Monday and can be taken home on a Friday. Our PE lessons will take place on a Tuesday and Wednesday. For outdoor PE sessions, children may bring their own trainers.
- Your child may mention their sticker chart or the marble jar. These are reward and sanction systems where we praise outstanding behaviour and achievement. The class will receive a prize at the end of term based on how many marbles in the jar. If your child earns a certain amount of stickers, they will be entered into the prize bag on a Friday for a personal reward.
This term we will be starting a new history topic – the Egyptians! We will be looking at Tutankhamun, mummification and daily life in Ancient Egypt. We also have an exciting visit planned to take part in workshops in the Great North Museum and the Centre for life. This will take place on 10th May. In English we are looking at the Rabbit Problem by Emily Gravett. We will be acting out different parts of the books to write diary entries about a day in the life of a rabbit! At the end of the term we will be writing our own shape poems linked to our topic of Ancient Egypt. We will take a problem solving approach in maths where children are encouraged to reason their answers to boost fluency and confidence across all areas. Mrs Nicholson will be returning to teach athletics for our Tuesday PE lessons. After May half term we will be starting our swimming lessons on a Wednesday and a Friday.