Dear Parents and Carers
Welcome back after the half-term break. The children have settled straight back into the Year 4 routines and have been working hard. I was so impressed with the dragon projects! Thank you for your support in using Google Classroom for this. It really helps us to minimise sending things between home and school at the moment. As it was so successful, we will be setting weekly spelling and homework using this method. The spellings will be in the 'Weekly Spellings' folder for the children to practise each week and the homework will be in the 'Homework' folder. This will be set on a Friday and should be submitted using Google Classroom by the following Thursday each week. Any work completed on paper can be photographed and added to your child's Google drive to add to the task.
Here is some useful information about the coming term in Year Four:
- Book bags and diaries should be brought into school on Mondays and Fridays only (unless your child needs their bag for Badgers). Any messages can be sent via the school office by phoning 01661 832581 or emailing email@example.com. Alternatively, you can catch me most mornings, on the yard, before school.
- P.E. kits should be brought into school on Wednesdays only. It would be helpful if children had trainers and warmer clothes so that P.E. lessons can take place outside, whenever possible.
- It would also be useful if they had pair of wellies and a waterproof in school to enable us to take full advantage of the outdoor areas. Please ensure that all clothing is named.
- Water bottles can be sent in on Monday and taken home again on Friday.
- Books will be given out on Mondays and if finished, should be returned on a Friday so that we are able to hand them out again the following week. It really makes a difference if children can read a little each day. Talking about the content of what your child is reading really helps with comprehension, which is just as important as fluency.
- Spellings will be posted on Google Classroom on a Friday for a test the following Friday. Once again, your support in helping your child to practice these spellings would be greatly appreciated.
- Homework will be added to Google Classroom on a Friday to be submitted by the following Thursday. This will be based on the previous week's learning.
- In-class support will be provided across the week by Mrs Smith and Miss Robinson
We will continue with of a mixture of new learning and recapping work from Year Three where appropriate. This approach is really helping to ensure that the children are able to confidently access and make progress in the Year Four curriculum.
We will be following the White Rose small steps approach in Maths and in English, we will study a range of fiction, non-fiction and poetry texts, including the ever-popular, How to Train Your Dragon. We are continuing with our Romans in Britain work in History, and in Science this half-term we will be learning all about states of matter. There will also be many creative opportunities, both inside and outside the classroom, and weather permitting, lots of time learning outside.
I'd like to thank you all for your continued support as we navigate our way through the challenges presented by the pandemic. It really does help us to keep things as normal as possible for the children in school.
from Ms Moore